Minggu, 15 Juli 2012

What a wonderful addition to the Who Universe!

After I Buy Doctor Who Season Part

Doctor Who Season Part

This product is good as advertised. Everything worked outside of the box with the preloaded operating system. The only bad thing about it is the crappy OS it comes preloaded. I could install xubuntu afterwards with minimum installing effort, thanks to instructions here: [...] (everything but the bluetooth works with current version 12.10, and apparently bluetooth will be fixed on 13.04).

Look and feel: Its really nice, the whole black is good to avoid unnecessary flashyness, and its incredibly lightweight (comparable to carrying a book with a few hundred pages). The charger is not really heavy either.

Multimedia: was really good, good screen, good webcam, good mic. Speakers were of course not premium, but for me it was even a little better than macbook air's, so I'm guessing is top of the line for a slim computer. Even with heavily reduced brightness (20%) to increase battery time the screen is pretty clear (much better than other laptop's I've used that with 50% reduced brightness are already annoying to look at). I like that the glass of the screen seems to produce little or no reflection compared to other monitors I've tried.

Speed: This was great, with windows it booted and finsihed loading everything from complete shutdown in about 10 secodns, reduced to 2 or 3 with linux. Going to slepp and coming back from sleep mode is instantaneous in both OSs. All ports worked.

I/O flip: I'm only annoyed by it in a non-rational thought that its going to break. To this day it worked perfectly, it is kind of noisy when it opens/closes, but probably comparable to opening/closing a dvd player's tray, nothing serius.

Fans: Then fans can get noisy (more than with mac's ultrabook) but usually it only lasts for a minute or less and then goes back to being quite when heavy processing is over. I do not play games or do any other intense-processing stuff, so I do not know if such thing will make it noisier longer. But even when installing the processor usage went up to 90% several times and only at some specific points the fans were loud. Even less frequently it gets hot, but MUCH less than my previous HP HDX 16 laptop which was a huge computer with plenty of ventilation. Of course it would be nicer if the computer had constant temperature and no noise at all, but this works great for my taste. Take into account it got way better with linux on than the couple of hours I tried it with the preloaded windows system, which of course was to be expected due to windows' ridicuolously heavy usage of the processor just to load the start menu and stuff.

Battery was estimated at 6+ hours on windows and is lasting 4.5 hours with linux (which is supposed to have worse performance with power management).

Ports: HDMI works perfectly, USB is fast (cannot say about USB 3.0 because I haven't tried any device, but USB 2.0 flashdrives seem fast).

Keyboard and touchpad are good, multitouch works perfectly in both OSs. The keyboard is not as confortable as a bigger laptop's or a regular desktop keyboard, but I don't think its possible to do a lot better on a slim ultrabook. After only a week of using it I'm already confortable typing it for several hours at work and I think I would probably get completely used to it in a month or two (I still use my old laptop when I'm working from home to avoid packing/unpacking all the time).

Did not try thunderbolt port with either OS.

Overall: I'm pretty pleased so far, would recommend the laptop, especially to linux users which sometimes may have a hard time finding drivers and making everything work.

Get your Doctor Who Season Part Now!

8 komentar:

  1. Just finished Season 4 and the regeneration of David Tennant, but there was no clue as to when the new season starts! Any help would be appreciated!

    BalasHapus
  2. I want to watch the first season of the old doctor who episodes with the first doctor but Netflix doesn't have the entire season they only have parts of it. Anyone know where I can find it?

    BalasHapus
  3. I've had this problem since I was a child. It usually happen around the fall-winter season. Parts of my body begin to swell. It'll either start at my hands or feet, then when that area goes down, it'll move to a different part of my body.

    BalasHapus
  4. Doctor Who has been recommended to me by many people. It's a huge series though; where do I begin?

    BalasHapus
  5. I just got the first disk of Doctor Who season Six from Netflix. Will I be confused if I have not see the Christmas Carol Special?

    BalasHapus
  6. I love Doctor Who and want to see the new companion (played by Jenna Louise Coleman). Sad to hear Amy & Rory are leaving.

    BalasHapus
  7. I've never seen the show. All I know is the Doctor has a police box time machine and a screwdriver for some odd reason. Who carries a screwdriver with them everywhere? And can I watch Doctor Who on YouTube?

    BalasHapus
  8. Ok I've got the box set of Doctor from seasons 1 to 6 and i noticed a few extra episodes where missing like Christmas specials and some episodes after season 4 that show the doctor regenerating into the present doctor from season 5 and onwards. I went into a shop and found all theses dvds that are not apart of the box set which has made me a bit confused. can someone tell me the episodes separated from the series and place them in the order from the from each season? Thanks

    BalasHapus